Monday, June 2, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Flagstaff

  Its hard to believe that my season in Flagstaff is done. Every furlough, I look forward to spending a small bit of time among the pines, living life with my church family at Grace. This is always a place of rest and refreshment and a time when I can see God's fingerprints in amazing ways. As I look back over these last three months, I am reminded of a story from the Gospel of Luke. A few weeks ago in church, we talked about Jesus sending out the 72. As he sent them out, He told them not to take money, or bags, or shoes. They may not have had a clear idea of where they were going or what exactly they would be doing. It was an ultimate step of faith. In the end though the Bible says, "The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!” Luke 10:17. 

I arrived in Flagstaff the first week in March. About a month earlier, I had no idea where I would live, what I would do, or how I would pay for things. I just knew that God was directing me there. My prayer journal entry from March 11th read "...my time in Flag - Lord how do I spend my time? Will I just be at home most of the time? Do I need a car? Lord, who will I shadow? Give me wisdom on how I will get to the school." Like the 72, as I leave Flag and return to Indonesian, I return with a sense of joy for seeing all the amazing things that God has done. In my prayer journal later that same week in March, it was written "God always has a holy surprise up His Sovereign sleeve. Ask God to show you what surprise He has for you and then watch out for it."  Here are 10 of my favourite surprises God had in store for me during my time in Flag (in no real order)...
Sammy is learning to fry and eat a grub he caught :)




Surprises:


  1. a home with the Cutlip family: a homeschool family of 5 little peeps included field trips, games, hikes, movie nights and so much more!!!
I loved the hours of reading and playing with the kids.
2. neighbours right across the street that went to the small group I wanted to join
Many times were spent in this kitchen with talking, tears, meals, and fun.
3. a group of ladies to laugh with, cry with, study the Bible with, and watch cheesy movies with
my first hike with some of the ladies


good food and good friends  - you can't get better than that!

4. half price tickets to a dinner theatre showing of the Secret Garden


I had always wanted to see this show...
...and thanks to half price tickets - a group of us were able to go!!!





















most of my Thursday Night Grace Group


5. a Thursday night small group of amazing but wacky people
prayers to send me off :)






one last meal with the crew
















6. a family in my small group helped me get connected with the local Christian school to shadow


It was great to get a perspective on how Christian schools in America are run. 

7. a spontaneous hike of the Grand Canyon

everyone should wake up one day and descide -
'Sure - let's just go hike the Canyon for the day!'
two of my favourite hiking buddies!!

amazing signs like these were posted all over the Canyon

8. a car to drive 

my brother gave me his car for 3 months - wow!!












9. an American swim meet to watch
this was my first US swim meet to see - so interesting

















10. and a cat to cuddle with :)

you can't get cuter than Phoebe the cat and Baby Danniers!!

James 1:16-17 says " Do not be deceived my brother, every good gift and every perfect gift is from above coming down from the Father of Lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." 

I am thankful for the gifts God has for me in Flagstaff, and as I move on I wait to see what He has in store for me in these last few weeks in America.

1 comment:

  1. How fun to look back and count God's faithfulness - so good for me to remember! You answered my prayers in so many ways - thank you! And thank you, Heavenly Father, for sending Charity to us for 3 short months. I have been blessed!

    ReplyDelete